Social media usage policy:
At this company we are aware that our employees engage in social media on a daily basis and we encourage our employees to express themselves online. However, as technology improves there has been a shift in the way we communicate. This company realizes that what someone publishes on social media can sometimes be controversial. These comments can bring our company into disrepute and as a result in an effort to avoid any misunderstandings we in conjunction with existing employees have come up with guidelines and rules to help keep you out of trouble online and to also avoid bringing this company into disrepute
Employees are expected to comply with the following rules and regulations regarding social media usage. By signing this document to agree to abide by the rules set out in the document. Failure to do so may result in the employee being reprimanded or in serious cases your employment being terminated.
Please read the following guidelines carefully and familiarize yourself with them before signing this document.
- We are happy for you to associate yourself with this company when posting messages on social media provided that you ensure that you state that you messages are your own personal view and that they do not represent the views of the company.
- You are personally responsible for your actions when on social media. What you post online is visible to the whole world as a result we encourage you to act with impunity and use discretion when interacting with friends online. Most of this is common sense but please if you feel that something may be inappropriate ask a friend or your shift manager to review it to avoid bringing the company into disrepute. As a guideline we feel that you should not post anything online that you would not be comfortable placing on the company notice board.
- We are happy for you to talk about your work life on social media but again we implore you to act with discretion. Do not post anything online that is entailed in the confidentiality agreement for example financial statements or legal matters. Also remember that your manager and colleagues also have social media so do not post derogatory comments about managers and colleagues on your social media accounts. Failure to comply will result in your employment being terminated.
- Respect your audience. This means that you don’t post ethnic slurs or engage in racist behaviour online failure to comply will result in your employment being terminated and also we will be obliged to contact the police also. Also please act with caution when posting about topical events and topics that have been controversial historically for example politics, religion and war.
- We also expect employees to respect copyright laws. This means that you cannot not use any company logos, slogans, intellectual property and products in any social media posts without first getting permission from your manager. Any infringements on our copyrights may result in legal action being taken against said employee.
- When using social media, bear in mind that you are a representative of the company. This means that clients and potential clients associate you with the company and your actions and behaviour on social media may impact on our client’s view of the company. As a result the company encourages you to engage in a professional and responsible manner when using social media.
- Only post on topics in which you are fully informed. As a way of preventing you from posting misinformed information on your social media account and to prevent you from bringing the company into disrepute we encourage all employees to only post their opinions on topics that they are fully informed on. Before you post your view on a topic please ensure you have the full facts and if for any reason you feel that you are not fully informed we encourage you to not post on said topic before you gain all the relevant information.
- If you mess up. Correct it immediately for example if you post an insensitive message online. Delete it immediately; post a retraction and a sincere apology. Then inform your manager so we know what we are dealing with and so we can then engage in damage limitations. If your account is hacked or “fraped” by a friend or colleague post a message explain what happened and post an apology.
- Be a “scout” for compliments and criticism. Even if you are not an official online spokesperson for the Company, you are one of our most vital assets for monitoring the social media landscape. If you come across positive or negative remarks about the Company or its brands online that you believe are important, consider sharing them by forwarding them to management as quickly as possible.
There is also the small matter of use in the workplace. The company has no objections to employees using their social media accounts during their break and lunch time but we do not condone the use of social media during work hours. By signing this agreement you agree to not engage in social media during office hours, the reason for this is studies show that employees who use social media during work hours have reduced productivity. If you do engage in social media when you are working then the proper grievance procedures will be followed. People who continuously break our social media policy will have their employment terminated.
We would also like to remind all employees that we have a monitor on our wifi connection so if you do log on to your social media account during office hour we will be aware of it and you will be reprimanded appropriately.
Joseph McGrory (L00106812)
- BBC(2011), news :social media guidance ,available: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/14_07_11_news_social_media_guidance.pdf (accessed 10/02/2015)
- com, coca-cola online social media principles, available : http://www.viralblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/TCCC-Online-Social-Media-Principles-12-2009.pdf (accessed 10/02/2015)
- AIA, policy on staff use of social media, available : http://www.aia.org/about/AIAB083034 (accessed 09/02/2015)
- Adidas-group, adidas group social media guidelines, available: http://blog.adidas-group.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/adidas-Group-Social-Media-Guidelines1.pdf (accessed 09/02/2015)
- com, policies, available: http://socialmediagovernance.com/policies/ (accessed 07/02/2015)